It is now 100 years since the Wi Pere Memorial monument on Gisborne’s Reads Quay was unveiled, on the return of the Maori Pioneer Battalion from World War 1. Both events will be commemorated next Saturday. The Wi Pere Trust shares an insight into the life of their ancestor and celebrated Maori leader.
About 70 people visited Rongopai Marae and Wi Pere Trust lands on Saturday as part of a tour organised by Historic Places Tairawhiti.
Rongopai Marae was built at Waituhi in 1887, one of four built in preparation for the return to the district of Maori leader Te Kooti Arikirangi Te Turuki, founder of the Ringatu faith.